Thursday, April 29, 2010

A beer for the replay

Acrylic on canvas
40 x 40cm;16 x 16"
It must be the replay because he is always too anxious to watch his team playing live!
This is another class exercise. The 'brief' was a domestic scene, Matisse inspired - use of some black outline, areas of flattish colour, simplification, spontaneous, - the tutor used Madame Mattisse as an example - but reading later about Matisse working this painting, I discovered he required over 100 sittings - of course many sittings would have been for sketching, preliminary drawings etc. However, I won't be too hard on myself that it looks more like the controlled work of Australian painter John Brack - spontaneous-looking will require a lot more practice! In 'simplifying', I have dispensed with the mess and clutter in our heavily used 'sitting'-room - a great way to 'tidy up'.

7 comments:

Julie Oakley said...

I love it.
The other thing I find amusing is that the colour scheme is exactly the same as our sitting room, mushroom grey carpet, gold/mustard walls and blue upholstery. Even the shape of that chair on the left is the same as our's.

annie said...

I wish I could clean house as well as you do with this method--my housekeeping never shows for long, but this kind will show forever. Lovely color scheme that you and Julie have.
annie

Julie Broom said...

I really like the subject matter and feel of this piece - it's a great little slice of life. I love your housekeeping methods too ;-)

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Is he watching rugby or Aussie Rules? Better than Matisse.
Simplify the domestic scene but still have a story. When I take photos of people in our living room all the junk stares me in the face, so a painting is the way to go.
Wendy

Sheila Vaughan said...

I really like these flat colours Alison. I think it's "you" more than Matisse and Brack but it's an interesting brief. I also "tidy up" my interiors if I paint them. I think, like Hopper, I would just like to paint empty rooms given the chance.

Editor said...

You have made a nice website,very well organized ,i let you a few links to mi websites,have a nice day,i will visit you again soon to see if you post something new,Raul Gonzales from Madrid
Nehoiu online Marketing Asesinos seriales Directorio web SEO

brooke said...

Nice details very clean house. ha ha

Brooke
http://www.momentsofelegance.com