Friday, April 25, 2008

Pot study #8
5 x 5 inches

Pot study #9
5 x 5 inches
pen and wash on cold press water colour paper
I'm still inspired by the possibilities of these pot arrangements. At the textile forum I attended in Orange last week, I purchased these beautiful sea-urchin-shaped vessels. Handling them gives one the magical feel of finding a whole, unbroken sea-urchin but actually they are knitted, stiffened and rolled in sands of different colours by textile artist Jane Whitten who I will link to when she has a web site.

9 comments:

littlemithi said...

Absolutely beautiful ... The colour ones are even better...

JaKo said...

Fabulous...I like both , mono and color.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

These are both lovely, original, and different from most 'still life' pictures - which I must say are often rather repetitive. Your technique and unusual shapes are never like that!
w.

Tami said...

these are just so well done! the pots sound interesting!

Claudia said...

Alison, you did some wonderful paintings ultimately. Love them all!

Penny said...

Alison these are great. Hope you enjoyed Orange, sorry I missed Ballarat but California was tremendous, check my back valley seasons for photos with Hashi and her step daughter in them. Just love the look of your squashy knitted sea urchins.

Anastasia said...

i love the grainy feel to your illustrations - beautiful!!

ElizT said...

Knitted sea urchins! How marvellous.
[And thank you for your comment]

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a photo of how you set up your pot studies with the lighting to get these amazing shadows. These are so fascinating!